Sunday, January 5, 2014

Memories Of Watching An NFL Football Game In An African Village 20 Years Ago

As some of my dear friends know, in 1993 I spent 8 months in a Xhosa village in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. I was the only European among some 200 Africans. I gave the villagers their first two portable televisions and they got hooked on television. They also fell in love with NFL football games that had to be watched at midnight due to the time difference with the USA. One night we were watching a San Francisco 49'ers game. As always, the 49'ers pulled out a win at the last moment. I was jumping up and down and shouting. One African got quite concerned and gently put his hand on my shoulder. He said to me: "Sir please be careful. You're an older man and might have a heart attack."
I thought of that as I was cheering when San Francisco pulled off a last minute field goal to win the game against Green Bay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment